Hey getaway lovers! As a huge fan of tembea Kenya, I am always excited to find places to explore locally, so when I came across photos of The Cliff on the internet 6 months ago, I knew that’s where my husband and I would head to for a getaway to celebrate our big anniversary.
I contacted them, they sent me a quote and I immediately began planning.
The Cliff is a luxury tented camp located within Lake Nakuru National Park. It is built at the edge of a cliff with all the tents facing a beautiful view of the Lake. If you love the bush and a wilderness experience then The Cliff is definitely for you.
Some points to note:
– To be at The Cliff you pay park fee at Lake Nakuru National Park according to the number of days you will be staying. I.e. every 24 hours. For example if you are two people and you book 5 days at The Cliff, you pay Lake Nakuru National Park fee per person times 5 days.
– The journey from Nairobi to Nakuru took us
– The Cliff has different rates depending on the month and days of the week, for example Mondays-Thursdays have a different price and Fridays -Sundays have a different price as well.
– It is about 35 minutes from the main gate of the park.
– It only has 10 tented camps.
– We booked directly with the hotel and they don’t take deposit, you pay the full amount when booking.
– The Cliff does not allow babies 11 years and below.
We left Nairobi at 11am, arriving at Lake Nakuru National Park around 2.15pm and started with sorting payments at the park gate before proceeding to the hotel.
The luxury tented camps:
The Cliff only has 10 tented camps and from outside the tents look like any other luxury tented camp but the interior decor is what is outstanding, a job perfectly done, I can say chic and modern. The views from the room are also to die for. My husband’s comment was: “This is absolutely 100% value for our money” and I agree too.
The food which was a la carte menu throughout for breakfast, lunch and dinner was delectable all times. The service was A1, fine dining at its best.
While at the Cliff, you get to see a very beautiful sunrise and they wake you up in the morning at 6.30am to view the beauty.
All the ten tented camps face Lake Nakuru, they are exactly at the edge of the Lake; the reason for the name “The Cliff.” The view is extremely beautiful and from our camp we got an excellent view, I’m 100% certain you get this magnificent view from whichever tent you are allocated.
We literally had the infinity pool to ourselves; we spent most of our time swimming and just lounging.
Out of Africa Lookout; gives you the best views in the park.
Baboon Cliff; also gives you good views and is also a picnic site.
Makalia Falls; a beautiful waterfall.
Bird watching; home of flamingos and pelicans.
Check in at the Cliff is strictly 12pm, so if you are having a short stay or if you happen to get there early enough I’d recommend you start by having an early morning self-game drive then later proceed to the hotel. If you have enough time then you can slot the game drive on a separate day.
We did a mid-morning game drive on our second day. The sun was already all out so we didn’t spot many animals but a game drive is always just fun no matter the number you get to see. The park is also very dry and so dusty, so could be the animals are just not there or they were hiding because of the scorching sun.
– Park costs: KSH 860/- per person every 24 hours. For the car you pay KSH300/- for up to 6 sitter vehicle every 24 hours.
– Hotel cost: We booked directly with the Cliff and it cost KSH38, 000/- per day on full board basis.
– We drove – fuel cost KSH4, 000 which lasted the entire trip.
– Since its full board we only spent on alcohol. Beers were 400/- and a glass of house wine was 400/- as well.
If you are coming from Nairobi and you do not see the need of going up to Nakuru, you can branch through Lanet. Use the Lake Nakuru National Park Lanet Gate, it saves you some time. We used it on our last day when traveling back.
What I loved most:
-The morning sunrise! It was breathtaking.
-Space! The tents are so spacious, organized and beautifully done.
-Also they remembered that we were there for our anniversary and they did their best to make us have a blast.
-We felt bad leaving our little wanderluster behind 😊
-On our way back, we had a small issue with our car and we had to find a mechanic to check it.
We enjoyed our stay and our anniversary was super amazing. You will love it.
Feel free to contact me or ask me any questions, I’m always ready to help.